GENERAL CONTRACTING SERVICES
- typically require significantly more time from the Project Owner when compared to Construction Management and Design/Build services
- Project Owner has multiple points of contact and multiple contracts for the project, and must manage them simultaneously
- Project Owner is more heavily involved with the Design Team throughout the pre-construction activities
- usually result in a longer process overall since construction teams are not brought in until the project is ready for bidding. This can result in last-minute design changes immediately prior to construction starting, and during the construction phase.
- can be less cost-effective compared to Construction Management and Design/Build when assessing total project costs for the Owner, and considering the additional time required
- does not allow for Fast Track construction scheduling; not the best choice for projects with a tight schedule
- are the best choice for Project Owners who are committed to a specific architect and have a more flexible schedule
- may result in lower quality construction or value for Project Owners due to the emphasis on getting the lowest bids possible
General Contracting services are a good fit for very experienced Project Owners who are comfortable executing all of the preconstruction activities with their Design Team, and who understand the entire process of design and construction. Total project costs may be higher when using General Contracting services, given the longer overall project duration. Quality may be affected if the Project Owner considers only price – not value.
When hired for General Contracting services, A.R. Brouwer Company offers competitive pricing while maintaining quality workmanship. In essence, we offer value.
See a side-by-side comparison of our Construction Services.